Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nichole ~ Glucose testing and belly rubbing ~

Last week I got to go in for Glucose testing. In Utah when I had my last two kids they sent me home with an overly sugary drink and told me to not eat anything after midnight the day before the testing and to drink the drink exactly one hour before coming in. They then take your blood to see how your body handles the sugar. They check for things like gestational diabetes. Well, here in Texas, they told me not to eat before hand like normal, but they didn't give me a drink before the apt. Instead, they told me to go to a lab down the street and do it all there. Luckily, I had Derrick there to help me with the kids. So they gave me the fruit punch flavored drink, (which is so much better if it's cold by the way, so if they send you home with one put it in the fridge) and told me to drink it in 10 minutes and then sit there for an hour. So I drank it and we sat and the kids colored and read some books that I had in the van. Not fun being stuck in a lab office waiting for over an hour on an empty/sugar filled stomach with a couple of kids. So if they tell you they are doing glucose testing and don't give you a drink, plan on spending at least an hour at the office. It took us almost two hours because they did the normal check up visit before they sent me to the lab. Oh, and if you can schedule your apointment in the morning, that's easier too.

I'm not a big fan of belly rubbing. People, sometimes random people who see your expecting and other times people you barely know at church, love to touch pregnant bellies. They'll ask you how you are doing or how your baby is doing and rub your belly. With family it doesn't bother me so much, maybe because they have a connection to the baby, but strangers or people I know who do it every time they see me, drives me crazy. There may be a baby there, but its still my stomach. I seem to have suddenly popped out this last week or two, so you can tell I'm very pregnant (not to mention a slight waddle in my step), so the belly rubbing is starting.

2 comments:

  1. Man neither of those things sound fun! I should make you a shirt that says TOUCH THE BELLY AND DIE! Or something along those lines. Anyways hope you are still feeling well waddle and all! :)
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so strange how different procedures are from state to state. Kristina told me she took her glucose test really early on like somewhere around 12-15 weeks. I took mine, at 23 weeks which is what my doctor prescribed. And yes I totally agree with you, those drinks can be really nasty and cold is always better.
    This was my first time taking my daughter with me to the testing. Kaiser, our insurance, doesn't let you leave the premise for that hour, so it was interesting keeping her entertained. I can't imagine having two kids though and trying to keep them entertained and not puke that sugary stuff up.
    For my first pregnancy, my sister-in-law and I were only 1 month apart, we also worked together. So we had all kinds of cool slogans worked out for t-shirts warning people to backoff from the belly and respect some boundaries. I still wish we would've made those shirts, we had some good ones.

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete